Monday, August 20, 2007

1909 Postcard, Art Card

I found a treasure in my husband's late grandparent's house. A box of vintage postcards. Many were from 1906 up to 1940's. (One was dated in the very late 1800's, how cool). One I framed untouched. This one I decided to have some fun with. I love how they are embossed so I left it unprotected. With past projects I would use cut page protectors or mylar. I added the 4 shells on the banner to compliment the theme of the card. Then I used a matte to attach it to an old bookcover that also belonged to his grandmother. My next project with these postcards will be to frame a few with the memo side showing. Maybe using transarencies so each side can be viewed and protected. (Still thinking about that one).

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Altered Picture Matte

I bought a lovely frame with a 14X30 matte. The problem, the matte. You can't find this size matte with 8X8 openings. This matte had 8X10 openings. I thought, no problem, I'll alter it or just purchase another matte. Well, I decided to just purchase a matte, but a double matte is around $70. "Well then, I'll just dive into this challenge". I almost gave up a couple times. I was afraid of it looking cheesy. Well, about 3 weeks later, (2 children at home and a vacation)this is the finished design. And I really like it. Now the next step will be if it looks OK in the frame with the 3 pictures of my 2 lovely girls.

I took one inch scrap pieces of matte board for the top and bottom of each opening. To hide the "piecing together" I started using gesso but it just wasn't thick enough. But my husband's sheetrock plaster was. I finished off with the gesso and kept some texture. I also used the gesso to lessen the depth of the 1/4 side of each opening from the original double matte inside edge. I mixed up some colors of paint until I got the green I wanted. Then I sponged a very pale color on top of that then finished with gold ink pad to blend. To hide the depth inconsistencies of the sides I used 1/4 ribbon and finished with these great metal corners I found. I used colors that would compliment the frame and the room it will be in. Sure, buying a matte would have been easier but the challenge is what it's all about.